I have been eagerly waiting on this book to arrive. Got it tonight.
Okay, imagine Windows NT. Except imagine it like this:
1. Rock solid. Never crashes. Can be set up to write nothing to hard disk except where directed.
2. Minimal installation in 8 megabytes where needed.
3. Fully compliant HTML5 browser with CrazyBrowser installed, can be set to launch VOS Server and browser at startup. VOS can run as a service in the background.
4. Full access to Parallel, Serial and USB devices with cross-platform code.
5. Supports PDF readers and other media viewers that may come in handy for Memex in VOS.
6. All convenient Windows API available including true pre-emptive threading.
7. Fully patched and debugged after two decades of testing in the field.
8. Support for USB, Fat-32 and other peripherals including cheap plug'n'play cameras.
9. Full support for dumb terminals, monochrome display on Hercules cards and ASCII serial keyboards.
Some reports of NT Embedded running for six years uninterrupted in kiosks and public ATMs when configured correctly.
First version of VOS is coming out this year, guaranteed. I am starting to think Microsoft's abandonware is the OS for the Vault of the Future. Honestly.