Sunday, February 26, 2012
Vault-OS : Assembly of Hydro Rack Underway
My former rack was so rusted I didn't think it was recoverable, so I started on a new one. This one is going to get a very heavy coat of rubber sealant when it is done.
The PVC pipes there have to be flushed with sodium lye solution to off-gas the surface residues left over from their manufacture, after this they are safe to use for growing things in. They really only act as a conduit for the nutrient solution and are not the actual bed where the plants sit.
I could have purchased all these components new but I wanted this to look slapped together for the book, to show that anybody can build one of these from junk just laying around and even automate it easily if you have a copy of Vault-OS to run it.
You're probably already thinking I could maximize my surface area for growing by running another array of pipes down the back and you are right. I need to purchase some more 90mm clamps this week to bolt to the other side.